Shredded cabbage is so quick to cook simply steamed or tossed with a bit of butter. It’s also delicious stir-fried, and in this Chinese inspired recipe it is perfect – slightly crunchy and toasted at the edges.
- 225g rump steak
- 6 tbsp teriyaki marinade, such as Kikkoman’s
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 50g salad onions, preferably baby red salad onions
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil or other flavourless vegetable oil
- 150g Savoy cabbage or spring greens, coarsely shredded
1.Cut the meat into 5cm long fingers then cut diagonally into thin strips. In a small bowl toss the meat with half the teriyaki marinade then add the cornflour and sesame seeds and stir until the meat is evenly coated. Set aside for 5minutes. Finely shred the spring onions. Halve and de-seed the pepper then cut into fine shreds.
2. Now place a wok over a high heat, without adding any oil at first. As soon as it’s very hot, add 1tbsp of oil, let it sizzle, then add the meat and toss it and stir-fry it in the oil for about 2minutes until golden and crispy. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Tip: Try using 75g of cabbage mixed with 75g finely sliced and shredded purple sprouting broccoli. If you can’t find teriyaki marinade use dark soy sauce with 1 sliced clove of garlic and 1tsp grated fresh root ginger. The stir-fry also works well with shredded pork fillet or duck breast.
Recipes & Images courtesy of thinkvegetables.co.uk