This is one of those lazy, no fuss dishes that pretty much cooks all by itself. Like so many other slow-cooked foods, the cabbage tastes even better the next day so it’s perfect to make when friends come round for supper, and you want all the cooking to have been done by the time they arrive. It is a perfect accompaniment to pork, game or even sausages and mash.
- 1kg red cabbage, finely shredded
- 450g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 8 small red onions, peeled and quartered, about 450g
- Large pinch ground cinnamon
- Large pinch ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons light soft brown sugar
- Salt and freshly milled ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 100ml pure apple juice 15g butter
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/ gas mark 2. In a large ovenproof dish, layer the shredded cabbage with the apples, onions, spices, sugar and seasoning. Continue with these layers until everything is in the pot.
- Pour in the vinegar and apple juice then dot the butter over the top and cover tightly with a lid or foil. Cook slowly in the oven for about 2 hours, stirring once or twice during the cooking time.
- Taste the cabbage before serving; you may need some extra seasoning.
Recipes & Images courtesy of thinkvegetables.co.uk