These colourful kebabs are easy to assemble and take just a few minutes to cook on the barbecue. These kebabs can always be whizzed under the grill if the heavens open! For a vegetarian option, replace the chicken with cubes of halloumi cheese and reduce the cooking time slightly.
- 12 firm vine ripened tomatoes, halved if necessary (1kg)
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (500g)
- 2 large courgettes, cut into 1cm thick slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 15g fresh basil
- 75ml olive oil
- 75ml vegetable oil
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes.
- Thread the tomatoes, chicken breast strips and courgette slices onto the skewers, alternating the colours. Season with black pepper.
- Blend the basil with the two oils in a liquidiser and drizzle the basil oil over the kebabs.
- Place on a grid over preheated barbecue coals for 4-5 minutes on each side until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Recipes & Images courtesy of thinkvegetables.co.uk